In 1938, Bedford gave the W Series a facelift, using O Series body panels for the bonnet and front wings whilst retaining the square wooden cab from the W Series. The improved 72h.p. engine, used in the O Series from 1939, was used. The O Series didn't replace the W series until 1939.
A second W Series cab was fitted to the roof to provide crew accomodation for Guest, Wood and Ling Ltd., of Bristol, Bath and London. The pantechnicon trailer was built by Scammell and used the Scammell Automatic Coupling.
How 72h.p. coped with a laden trailer and headwind can only be imagined, as can the ride for the crew in the upper cabin.